wHAT TO SEE AND WHERE TO STAY PORT AUGUSTA TO SYD?

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 18:48
ThreadID: 81752 Views:3240 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all,I we are heading from Port Pugusta to SYD Via Broken hill and Dubbo we are going to silverton near B/H and Dubbo zoo but would like to check out anything along the way and will be free camping to save a $ or two thanks to some unexpected repair issues ,we are just at the end of a 9 month trip and I have not researched this last leg of of our trip,we have our 7 and 11 year old boys with us and just wanted to end our trip on a good note so any advice would be great.

cheers all and thanks .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 18:53

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 18:53
Plenty of things to do in Port Augusta

Visit the Flying Doctor base for a guided tour. but call in advance

Take a superb water cruise with Flinders Ranges water cruises

Visit the Arid Gardens

Visit the Wadlatta Centre to get an understanding of the outbacks history

Grab a curry from the Standpipe Motel and restaurant

Take a run up to Quorn on the Pichi Richi railway

Go to the visitors centre and get the town tour guide and follow that for a day

That should take around three days

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 432259

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 20:09

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 20:09
Depending on which way you travel - Hancocks Lookout and Port Germein with its long jetty and old clockwork tide indicator near Port Augusta.

Have a look through the Flinders Ranges including Chambers Gorge.

Closer to Broken Hill are the Menindee Lakes and Kinchega NP, Mungo NP with its amazing dunes and fossils, and Mutawingee NP. Enough there to fill in a few weeks!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 432266

Reply By: Wilko - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 21:43

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 21:43
When In Cobar,

Go to the Fort Bourke lookout and the mining musuem.

Take a Cobar explorer bus tour.

There are heaps of good camp spots just pull off the road go into the bush 100mts or so and set camp.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 432279

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 23:33

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 at 23:33
The Daydream mine on the way to Silverton is pretty good. Mike
AnswerID: 432285

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Oct 07, 2010 at 00:48

Thursday, Oct 07, 2010 at 00:48
Hi John

We loved Dubbo, and spent two most enjoyable days at the zoo. One ticket covers two days and you need that much time. Get to the zoo early before most of the animals go to sleep in the heat of the day. Look for animal feed times where a keeper gives a talk while feeding the animals. You can drive your own vehicle around the zoo; handy for access to food and drinks too.

When we got to Dubbo we took one look at the CP we were heading towards (Poplars - right in town) and thought we couldn't stay there - right by the Highway and the bridge. All CPs are on major access roads to the town so we looked elsewhere. We found Terramungamine free camp, which is four kilometres west of the Newell Highway, turning off ten kilometres north of Dubbo. There are a couple of flush toilets with water from a tank, but no water supply for camping so you need to be self sufficient. The river is rather murky and i would not like to draw water from it for cooking, but i did swim in it to cool down after a long hot day at the zoo. We spent a few nights at this pleasant riverside location last October, both to go to the zoo and to look around Dubbo. We left the caravan there each day, as did others; quite safe. Terramungamine is a small campground and it got packed out each night, with some people coming in and leaving again each night due to the crowding, so it pays to get there early. It was a very pleasant spot - far better for us than being in a town by noisy highways. It might not be cost effective to commute to town and the zoo like we did each day, but that was not why we chose it.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 432290

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2010 at 15:34

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2010 at 15:34
Silverton near Broken Hill is well worth a look and has a semi-bush camp/CP.

Living Desert is a reserve with labelled semi-arid desert plants near BH that's been done well.

Walking tour within BH, along with the Miners Memorial.

In Port Augusta: great fish and chips shop near the main shopping centre.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 432801

Sponsored Links